Title: Unknown Threats (A Story of Survival)
Author: Barb Shuler


Add on Goodreads 


s


My badge wasn’t going to save me and my family. If anything, it would only get us killed.

Four girls on a weekend getaway sounds like fun. Right? In hindsight, yes. It started out that way. But the happiness took a swan dive when a stranger appeared wanting to borrow a phone.

All too quickly I realized I was looking into the eyes of a soulless killer. If I didn’t think fast, his would be the last face I ever saw. 

I had to save my family. If it means destroying myself in the process, well, that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make. 






I opened my door and put the bag on the seat as I took another scorching drink of coffee. When I turned I saw Sara was scowling. I raised a brow and turned slightly to see Bria talking to two younger men, as in younger than we were. I scanned them and turned to see them a little better. 
I braced my feet on the ground, apart and ready for action if needed.
“Blue shirt - right ankle.”
“Saw it,” she replied. “Though, I don’t think it’s a gun bulge. It looks off a little. His pants are too big and baggy to be sure.”
“The other one gives me the willies,” I grumbled. “His eyes are all but devouring her like a hungry lion would a gazelle.”
“Agreed,” Sara said, her voice was soft but I heard the hard line in it. I moved to sit my coffee in the cup holder. I stretched again, a decoy so I could get a look around for another vehicle. I saw an older truck off to the side of the building. My nose wrinkled.
“Y’all ready to move out?” Tami drew my attention and I nodded. Sara was still watching Bria grin up at the guys in front of her. “Well-”
“Bria, let’s go!” Sara barked. “Now!”
I gave her a hard look but said nothing. Bria scowled, and I swear if looks could kill, Sara would have dropped to the ground. I laughed internally, but kept my guard up. The hair on the back of my neck was on end. Something just wasn’t right with those fellas. When Bria turned to head back this way the guys looked towards us. They smiled, an evil, make my skin crawl kind of grin. 
I got a good look at them, though. They had dark hair, were of a medium build and both had hard eyes. The taller of the two had stars tattooed along the side of his face and across his left eyebrow. 
That looked like a gang tat, great. 







Barb is a Carolina Girl by right and a Texan by birth. By day she’s a desk jockey for a rural transportation company and a book lover - reading through as many books as she can. At night though, she turns into her alter ego, a writer. Cape, optional, depending on her mood.

Her stories are a mix of real life events, her own personal experiences, the crazy workings of her imagination, and the imaginations of her best friends. And with their imaginations together, it can get a bit nutty at times. Barb writes in multiple genres, encounters new adventures, creates new worlds and has a fantastic time breathing life into new stories. Creating something she hopes inspires anyone who reads them to fall in love with them as much as she has.

Barb lives by one little rule, tomorrow is never guaranteed so make sure you live each day to its fullest.







Comments